11/08/2005 09:52:00 PM|W|P|Melissa|W|P|Back in the old stomping ground of Madison this past weekend (husband and I both did grad school at UW). Minus some really annoying people in the crowd, the Jeff Tweedy show was amazing, as per usual.
A visit to Madison would not be complete without a visit to the Terrace at the union, which is famous for its view, its beer, and its chairs.
Notice my "Airy Scarf" I'm wearing? Finished just in time for the weekend.
I've been tagged by Melissa for my first meme...so here are 20 things about me:
1. I'm a fraternal twin.
2. I'm half Greek
3. I skipped second grade.
4. I went to Catholic School for twelve years, including high school at an all-girls school.
5. I was born and raised in St. Louis, MO
6. I went to the University of Kansas for undergrad.
7. I have a Masters in Genetics from the University of Wisconsin.
8. I met my husband during our last semester at KU.
9. I can stick my fist in my mouth.
10. I've smoked cigarettes with Jon Stewart.
11. My first concert was Huey Lewis and the News in 6th grade.
12. My last concert was Jeff Tweedy in Madison.
13. I used to have a Cardigan Welsh Corgi, who was really Cujo in disguise.
14. I completed my first sprint triathlon in August.
15. I was not athletic at all growing up - except if you count being on a bad high school tennis team as atheleticism.
16. I've never been to New York City or Washington D.C., but I've been to Europe and Australia.
17. I TiVo Oprah.
18. My family and close friends call my "Meli" or "Mel," never "Missy."
19. I wish I could sing.
20. I love to eat.
|W|P|113150898028919525|W|P|Mad Town|W|P|11/04/2005 06:34:00 PM|W|P|Melissa|W|P|As promised...
We just found out the recipient, baby Margot, was born on Friday!
And my first sock, which sucks:
Pattern: Lion Brand Basic Sock
Yarn: Schoeller and Stahl Fortissima Colori
A number of things are wrong here: (1) my guage is off, so the sock is kind of big (2) at some point, my stitch markers fell off, so my toe decreases are a bit off center, (3) my picking-up-stitches technique is not great, and (4) there is a weird loop left at the end of where I kitchnered the toe.
Not sure if I'm going to make sock #2...I think I may try again with a pattern that calls for a heavier weight yarn so I can get some more practice. Perhaps the pattern from Knitty Gritty - any other suggestions?|W|P|113115177511150063|W|P|Please, please, please let me get what I want|W|P|11/04/2005 09:50:00 AM|W|P|Melissa|W|P|Camera? Check.
Time? No so much.
Hopefully in between my busy work day and going out tonight, I'll be able to post some pics of my finished items. No pics of my awesome trip to Portland until my friend Claire gets her pictures off her camera. LeAnn - we went to Lint - I could have spent all day there! Thanks for the suggestion!
Tomorrow we are off to Madison to see Jeff Tweedy and eat at our favorite restaurant. Yum!|W|P|113111974075698727|W|P|No Time|W|P|11/01/2005 09:30:00 PM|W|P|Melissa|W|P|It's another husband out-of-town week, and instead of handing out candy, I went for a run in the dark and rain last night. Passing all of the kiddies out and about, I noticed a trend in Chicago trick-or-treaters. A large percentage of them are over the age of fourteen, and costumes apparently are optional. After my run, our buzzer rang (mind you, we live on the top floor of our condo building). The following exchange ensued:
Trick or Treater #1: "Yeah"
Trick or Treater #2: "Got candy?"
My, city kids sure are pleasant, aren't they? If I was handing out candy, they would have gotten fruit for sure!
I'm still without a camera. Tomorrow I should have some shots of my finished first sock and quickie baby sweater. I'm currently having some issues with the lace scarves I'm working on, but I'll bitch about that in another post.|W|P|113090350724390640|W|P|Halloween City Style|W|P|